This post may contain affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may earn a commission.
Finding the best lighting for your seahorse aquarium is somewhat tricky since many hobbyists add corals and marine plants to these species-specific tanks.
With these photosynthetic additions, you need to look for the right lighting that is moderate-low to suit the seahorse’s preference while having enough intensity to cater to the needs of these marine plants and soft corals.
However, corals require different lighting compared to macroalgae and this can be challenging when keeping both within the same aquarium.
The first step is to choose the type of aquarium you want for your seahorses. You can choose between:
1. A reef-style aquarium for your seahorses with corals. (coral 10000k-20000k 10x) blue
2. A macroalgae-type refugium for your seahorses with marine plants and algae. ( 6500k under 10000k) white
3. A tank with a mix of both corals and macroalgae to form your seahorse aquarium.( don’t go too blue)
Once you’ve made your decision then you can choose the type of lighting that is suitable for your seahorses as well as other tankmates you wish to keep.
Fortunately, with the latest technology and compact features of LED aquarium lights, we’ve found lighting that can be customized for however you want to build your seahorse tank.
Our Top Picks.
|Best Overall||ATI STRATON PRO 204||$2400|
|Best Beginner||AQUA ILLUMINATION PRIME||$250|
|Best Budget||MAXSPECT JUMP 30W||$120|
|Best Premium||NEPTUNE SYSTEMS SKY LED||$870|
|Editors Choice||REEF BREEDERS PHOTON||$545|
Best Overall: ATI STRATON PRO 204 FLAT PANEL LED LIGHT
|1. Ultimate Customizable Control||1. Price is on the higher end|
|2. High Tech Functionality||2. Only 1 year warranty|
|3. Full Spectrum|
|4. Full Light Spread (excellent PAR)|
|5. Excellent Quality|
We think that the ATI STRATON PRO is the best modern high-tech lighting system for a well-established marine seahorse aquarium.
This German design and masterpiece is a beast when it comes to aquarium lighting and now we know why.
Packed with so many features making it ideal for just about any marine tank while retaining customizable intensities for corals and macroalgae to thrive.
The ATI Straton Pro combines maximum efficiency with exceptional functionality and world-class design.
The updated design builds on the success of the original ATI Straton producing 30% more output and improved efficiency.
The larger format improves light spread, and the updated software enhances control. Emphasis on control allows you to have full access to customize your light however you see fit.
You can optimize the light to maximize coral growth and color while still providing soft natural light for seahorses to remain comfortable.
The ATI Straton Pro is available in three sizes and it comes in two colors( black/white).
The aim of the Straton Pro is to achieve the highest possible efficiency with maximum functionality and the best possible design.
Comes with the pro fixture, hanging kit, power supply, and 6-foot power cord.
1. Uniform light distribution – Built-in proprietary diffuser blends the individual LED lights.
2. Wifi control- For more intuitive and easy programming.
3. Limitless color possibilities- Full spectrum for just about any type of color.
4. Modern ultra-thin minimalistic housing.
5. Enhanced power – Makes it more efficient.
6. Estimated PAR values – Helps with coral placement.
- Dimensions: 24.0 in. x 18.5 in. x 0.5 in. (L x W x H)
- Power Consumption: 290W
- Power Input: 120V
- Warranty: 1-year manufacturer
- Number of LEDs: 204 (Including LED Colors)
- Lenses/Reflectors: Reflectors for each LED
- Recommended Illumination Area for SPS: 36 in. x 28 in.
- Recommended Illumination Area for LPS: 40 in. x 32
- Suggested Mounting Height: 8-12 in.
LATEST PRICES HERE ON AQUARIUM SPECIALTY.
Best Beginner: AQUA ILLUMINATION PRIME 16HD LED FIXTURES
|1. Great for nano tanks||1. The myAI app is not intuitive|
|2. Offers beginners more to work with||2. Diffusers sold separately|
|3. Easy control||3. Hanging mount not the best|
|4. Good customization|
|5. Easy maintenance|
The new AQUA ILLUMINATION PRIME is a great beginner lighting fixture that’s perfect for nano tanks under 30 gallons.
This simplistic design and easy control system come with great potential for beginners to succeed in their aquarium journey.
Most hobbyists always start out with stock lights that can be limiting to a beginner but I can assure you that the new Prime offers more while still being budget-friendly.
This light boasts design, control, simplicity, and HD functionality. Everything you need to start out with.
1. Fully programmable including channel control, intensity, and timing from your smartphone.
2. Design has resulted in two major benefits: better efficiency and better aesthetics.
3. Improved waterproofing ability suitable for beginner mistakes.
4. A dedicated moonlight LED and channel allowing for independent moonlighting, designed to simulate the natural lunar color and intensity.
5. The incorporation of more LEDs results in a more targeted full spectrum. The result is more color POP as well as a slightly wider output area and higher average PAR.
6. AI’s popular HD functionality, through which a user can route power not in use by one color channel into another color channel is a much-loved feature.
- Dimensions: 4.88 x 4.88 x 1.3in
- Wattage: 60W
- LEDs: 16 (+ 1), 4 cool white, 4 blue, 4 royal blue, 1 green, 1 violet, 1 UV, and 1 moonlight
- Color Channels: 7 (+1)
LATEST PRICES HERE ON AQUARIUM SPECIALTY
Best Budget: MAXSPECT JUMP 30W LED LIGHT – REGULAR
|1. Competitive pricing||1. Limited customization|
|2. Premium features||2. Limited control|
|3. Easy controls||3. Limited spectrum|
|5. Suitable for corals and macroalgae|
With the creation of the MAXSPECT JUMP 30W led light the company only had one thing in mind, that’s affordability without slacking on the features.
This light comes with premium features at a competitive price making it ideal for hobbyists with smaller tanks (below 30 gallons) or you can add another fixture to light up bigger tanks.
The Jump MJ-L130R will appeal to all aquarists who need to illuminate Chaetomorpha in their refuge, but it may also interest many aquarists who cultivate macroalgae.
This light can also be used for specialized color spectrums for SPS, LPS, and soft corals. It also provides just the right illumination to showcase seahorses and their unique coloration.
Its 32 LEDs consisting of Blue, Violet, and UV diodes consume a maximum of 30 watts and can be operated via a simple inline controller.
Choose from three different photoperiod program spectrum and timing options including “10000K”, “16000K”, and “SPS Thrive AB+” for six, ten, or twelve-hour periods.
Preset Spectra: “All Purpose”, “Enhanced Growth” and “Macroalgae Thrive AB+”
- Full aluminum body with a beautiful matte finish.
- Inline controller with multiple one-touch photoperiod programs
- Specialized color spectrum for both SPS, LPS, and soft corals
- Passing cooling for silent operation
- Available in Regular Edition and Refugium Edition
- Easy control and programming.
- Model – MJ-L130
- Power – 30 W
- Dimensions (not including stand) – 9.5″ x 4.75″ x 1.25″
- Coverage – 12″ – 20″
- LEDs – 32 Total
- 10x 6500-7000K White
- 14x 465-470nm Sky Blue
- 4x 450-455nm Deep Blue
- 2x 410-420nm Violet
- 2x 395-400nm UV
LATEST PRICES HERE ON AQUARIUM SPECIALTY
Best Premium: NEPTUNE SYSTEMS SKY LED AQUARIUM LIGHT
|1. Great Spread||1. App controls need updating|
|2. Malfunction alerts||2. Wish the cord was detachable|
|3. Stand alone light|
|4. Easy installation and set-up|
|5. Highly responsive controls|
The NEPTUNE SKY-led aquarium light is probably the only light that accurately mimics the sun’s rays providing proper illumination without the harsh shadowing and fractured spectrum found in most other popular lights.
Personally, I’ve never seen a better light that can grow coral at such a fast pace as this light. So if you are interested in creating a reef-style aquarium for your seahorses the SKY is a no-brainer.
Normally aquarium lighting usually meant trial and error moving color sliders around, asking friends, and reading forum posts, but with the Sky, they have simplified the entire process from connection to initial configuration to ongoing operation.
The SKY is a 200w, LED aquarium light, with patented diffuser technology, that smoothly blends all of its 104 LEDs to create a homogeneous field of coral-health-optimized light.
No hotspots, no disco-ball effect, no need to augment it with other lights or add-on diffusers — but best of all, none of the harsh shadowing and fractured spectrum found in most other popular lights.
1. Comes wired or wireless for efficient control and programming. (Bluetooth or app)
2. Optimized spectrum for growth and color as well as UV LED-enhanced color pop.
3. The SKY has a large surface area of diffused light at the origin which emulates the horizon-to-horizon effect of the atmosphere and minimizes shadowing.
4. Nearly silent, low profile, and lightweight.
5. Advanced Thermal Management System.
6. Adjustable Shimmer and shimz.
7. Two dedicated moonlights for the changing intensities and light phases.
- Dimensions: 12.8″ x 9.25″
- Power Input: 100-240VAC 1.8A 50/60Hz
- Variable Usage (MAX): 219W
- Mounting Kit: Sold Separately
- Maximum Spread: 30″ x 36″
- Recommended Spread: 24″ x 30″
LATEST PRICES HERE ON AQUARIUM SPECIALTY.
Editors Choices: REEF BREEDERS PHOTON PRO LED
|1. Very customizable||1. May feel cheap at first glance|
|2. Great control||2. Remote sold separately.|
|4. Multiple mounting options|
|5. Silent function|
If you looking for a light that has a proven track record, with the latest technology while still being within the mid-tier price range then the REEF BREEDERS PHOTON V2 PRO is the one for you.
Reef breeders saw a huge gap in the market between basic cheap lights and the more expensive fixtures offered by led titans.
The creation of photon V2 pro has all the premium features of a well-structured LED light while still remaining affordable.
This light’s main purpose is to accelerate coral growth while enhancing the color and health of just about any reef tank.
This is perfect for a seahorse tank or other reef tanks that require suitable lighting for its color to pop.
Another great feature that I love is the smooth gradient ramping.
Your light will automatically and gradually ramp up and down, just like a natural sunrise and sunset with a stimulated dusk and dawn transition.
This stimulated sunrise and sunset feature will be ideal for seahorses since they normally perform daily rituals in the morning.
There is also a 28-day moonlight cycle built in, which automatically raises and lowers the intensity of your moonlight based on the current moon phase.
All this can be controlled conveniently with the use of the smart app which allows for full cloud-based wireless control.
And if you are just a beginner and unaware, rest assured as there is a variety of presets and user-created programs that you can use until you become familiar with the programming to create your own setup.
1. Great wireless control that connects to the Reef Nexus app for all-around customization from anywhere around the world.
2. The Photon V2 Pro is backed in the USA by the full 2-year warranty, which covers parts, labor, and shipping for the entire fixture and controller, both ways.
3. The Photon V2 Pros are cooled with silent, temperature-controlled fans. The Air moves over the heat sink and never comes into contact with the internal electronics, keeping all components cool and dry.
4. Many presets with different lighting channels throughout the color spectrum. Hence providing the best possible lighting combination for your aquarium.
5. Different cycles to increase or decrease intensity depending on your aquarium’s needs.
6. Contains different mounting options and is compatible with the T5 lighting fixture.
Dimensions – 43″ L x 8.5″ W x 1″ H
Coverage Area – FOWLR/Softies: 52″ x 24″ – Mixed Reef: 50″ x 24″ – SPS: 48″ x 24″
Optics – 100 Degree TIR
Number of LEDs – 88
Control Channels – 6
Tank Mount Height – 5″-11″
Tank Mount Leg Extension – 46″-55″
Included Accessories – Hanging Kit, Tank Mounting Legs
Power Consumption – 240 watt
LATEST PRICES HERE ON AQUARIUM SPECIALTY.